Travel as Therapy: Heeding a Call to Freedom
Travel as therapy is experienced by most travelers, but is rarely approached consciously as a way for self-discovery and transformation. Most of the times therapeutic effect of travel is treated as a by-product, as something that "happened" to them.
I have met many travelers and my primary question to them always is : why do you travel? Why do you spend your money on something that you can't bring back home and sell on a stock market? What is it about going away that is so compelling? Do we travel to discover other people or ourselves?
The intention of this site is to provide an insight and share experience of travel and adventure from soul perspective. I draw insight from personal travel experiences and a formal education in Spiritual Psychology to share the vehicle of travel as therapy.
It is my wish to present a view on soul therapy, the possibility of self-learning, discovery and spiritual transformation through travel.
Travel as therapy is a holistic way of travel: to consciously learn about yourself by going away from habitual and predictable environment with intention. It is to use power of a metaphor of journey to induce personal transformation.
I remember a moment from Tolkien trilogy " Lord of The Rings" when Frodo and Sam are set to leave the Shire. Sam stops Frodo by announcing: “ This is it. If I take one more step, this will be the farthest away from home I ever be.”
That one step "away from home" sets in motion their whole journey of personal transformation and revelation of the life meaning and purpose. That one step of leaving the comfort zone behind is the promise of transformation, a transcendence of individual consciousness.
It is this fear of leaving a comfort zone that makes it acceptable for most of us to live on auto pilot suppressing inner quest for life with meaning and purpose.
To get where you want to be in life and have different results while remaining the same person is not possible.
To change your life, you would have to change. This is where perspective on travel as therapy can begin its application.
You are an infinite spiritual being, an energy field expressed in a particular human experience. That is perhaps why "leaving home", a life of ordinary identity formed by familiar concepts has a potential to get to know yourself on a deeper level.
I am realizing that my creative expression, self-integration, renewal and joy of being is inspired by travel. Every trip is a session of therapy in travel — a precious gift.
Once a fellow University student asked me where was my favorite place in the world. Without much thinking it slipped out of my tongue: "airplane". It was a moment to own up to; what was always there - my affinity for moving into space, preferably when it is unknown territory.
The main focus in travel for me is to increase awareness of life meaning and purpose and generate spiritual transformation within.
If you are like I am seeking to get bigger value out of travel, besides joy of entertainment, then your quest for adventure can bring tremendous returns.
Perhaps urge to travel is a manifestation of spiritual instinct to be free. It is a subconscious desire to transcend the mundane and the limited that became a definition of who you are and your life's experience. Travel as therapy could serve as metaphor for life itself, mirroring its nature and processes.
There is only one constant in life, and that is change. You could say that travel is a process of accelerated sequence of changing events along the journey. It is a symbol, a reminder pointing toward awareness of impermanence that our whole life is just a visit.
You can't take much with you besides memories and experiences. Fluidity of moving from one place to another points to travel as therapy for adjusting personal priorities of what is ultimately important in your life?
Just as on the journey you can't take the place you're visiting with you. So this awareness of parallels can free you to be happy and to be present to incessant flow of life experiences.
Taking travel as therapy is learning to accept responsibility for one's life completely and without negativity of judgment. That is self-integration in brief. It is possible to learn to be much happier by stopping resisting what is happening, making self-honoring choices and becoming a compassionate witness.
Unique way to take travel as therapy is why we take it to the road to unwind, to unload, to change the scene. All those are indirect names for the silent call of our soul to become free.
What is the energy of the impulse that propels you to travel? Greater experience of internal freedom is inevitable, once you respond to the impulse with unbiased self-inquiry. Therapeutic effect is a given outcome of an impulse, once it is examined.
- Perhaps you felt it very acutely, like a push to leave behind everything you knew and travel into unknown.
- Maybe you felt that there was something fantastic and supremely arousing just over the horizon of your familiar life.
- Perhaps you felt a longing, a lure for something you knew was meaningful and essential for your being.
- You wanted a change, even though you didn't know it rationally.
- You felt that your life could have a greater meaning than it seemed at present.
- You felt an immense desire to burst out of circumstantial fetters of your life.
- You felt disenchanted and wished for a fresh perspective.
- Self-Renewal Through Life Events, Clues For Your Life's Time-Out.
- Triggers For Self-Renewal Are Life Events. Take Time For Holistic Travel To Change Your Environment And Know Yourself Better
- Choose Meaningful Travel for Lasting Effects On Your Spiritual Quest.
- How Travel Adventure Can Nurture Your Soul? Journey of Meaningful Travel Gives You A Taste Of Profound Fulfillment.
- Solo Explorer Travel Benefits.
- What Are The Hidden Rewards For Solo Explorer? Solo Travelers Get Huge Advantages For Taking Travel Journey In Their Own Hands.
- Being Alone: Opportunity And Fearlessness
- Don't Confuse Being Alone With Being Lonely. Among Other Things To Do Alone, Exploration and Travel Are Great Ways To Nurture Your Soul.
- Recreation Travel Preparation Advice For Authentic Traveler.
- Recreation travel preparation with holistic approach to address packing, trip planing, and traveler's mindset.
- Prepare Traveler Mindset Of Adventure.
- How to establish a Traveler Mindset before trip departure. How to cultivate qualities for authentic travel experience and inner transformation.
- Travel Journey Departure — Unique Stage For Authentic Solo Travelers.
- Travel Journey departure — a symbol of commitment to Self and Unknown. A secret to maximize potential outcome of a trip adventure by setting clear intentions.
- Create Authentic Trip From Within.
- Create authentic trip by including these spiritual psychology practices along your journey. Secrets to solo vacations filled with meaning and transformation.
- How To Return From Travel — Survive Reverse Culture Shock.
- To return from travel is not always simple. Keep in mind several after travel adjustments when you return home from fantastic and transformative journey.
- Make After Travel Adjustment A Smooth Transition.
- Be prepared for after travel adjustment. Here is what to do when you come back home after travel.
- How To Face Travel Depression At The End Of Journey.
- If you encountered travel depression at the end of a long trip — learn to understand and transcend it.
- Reverse Culture Shock: After A Long Trip Change Is Both Ways.
- Dealing with reverse culture shock: inner game of adapting to changes after a long trip.
- Self-Reflection In Travel: Knowing Yourself — Key To Spiritual Transformation.
- Self-reflection helps answer WHO ARE YOU question — the key to fundamental transformation. The implications of self-knowlwdge and how individual travel can help.
- Nurtured Soul — The Goals And Inspirations Of Travel Therapy.
- Continue to cultivate conditions for a Nurtured Soul after return from travel. Get to know the source of your happiness, abundance and authentic power.
- Secret Meaning Of Freedom And A Way To Experience It.
- How to experience meaning of freedom after return from travel. How to remove three veils that prevent continuous experience of genuine freedom.
- Spiritual Wellness Practices For Authentic Traveler.
- Spiritual Wellness methods for Therapeutic Travel are potent instruments for Self-Awareness and Inner Transformation.
- Make Self-Development Plan a part of travel.
- Having a clear Self-Development Plan is a great way to energize your life and continue nurturing your soul upon return from travel.
- Travel Bug Addiction - A Path To A Very Private Hiding Place.
- Travel bug addiction: what's lurking in a shadow? Craving for bliss without effort — a compulsion to travel.
- What Defines Meaning Of Travel?
- Meaning of travel has a deeply individual flavor. Why do you like to travel and what makes it a meaningful trip?
- Contact Us
- Contact Us Page
- Travel From Soul Perspective
- Travel as Therapy for the Soul Blog. Newest Information on Adventure of Self-Discovery, Power of Self-Reflection and Freedom Experienced in Travel.
- About Travel From Soul Perspective
- Brief evolution of Travel Soul Therapy